1/1 Photo of Locro (Ecuadoran Potato-Cheese Soup)
1 hr 20 mins
Found online; posting for ZWT 7-South America (Ecuador). Recipe states: Locro is a nourishing potato-cheese soup that is popular in Ecuador and Peru. A soup with the same name is found in Argentina, but Argentine locro is a vegetable and meat stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil or butter over medium flame in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic and simmer until the onion is translucent.
- 2Stir in the potatoes, water or stock, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are falling apart, 30-45 minutes.
- 4Mash the potatoes up a bit with the back of a spoon to thicken the soup, leaving it a little chunky.
- 5Remove the soup from heat and stir in the cheese.
- 6Adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
- 8A handful of corn kernels is often added to this soup. Use about 1 cup and add after the soup has simmered for about 20-30 minutes.
- 9Chopped avocado is often used as a garnish.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Locro (Ecuadoran Potato-Cheese Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.3
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 35.6 mg
- Sodium 225.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 12.3 g