5 hrs 25 mins
Posted in response to a request. This version of a traditional Argentinean stew features both chicken and pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried white bean, soaked overnight
- 1 lb dried giant hominy, soaked overnight (treated white corn)
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, skinned, boned, and cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 lbs lean spareribs
- 1 lb pancetta, cubed
- 2 small red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 lb spanish style chorizo sausage, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Drain beans, then transfer to a medium pot. Add enough water to cover beans by one inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, drain hominy, then transfer to a large heavy pot. Add enough water to cover hominy by 2 inches., then simmer over medium low heat for 1 hour.
- 3Add chicken, spareribs, pancetta, peppers, chorizo, squash, and paprika, and add enough water to just cover meat and vegetables. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until corn blooms and stew is thick, about 4 hours more.
- 4Add beans just before stew is done. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Locro
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.1
- Calories from Fat 463
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 184.3 mg
- Sodium 789.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 58.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: