Recipe by Ian Magary
Found the recipe in a magazine "Garden & Guns" ??? WTF? Stonleigh Hotel & Spa, Dallas Texas, chef David Bull then I modified it to make a Hawaiian favorite breakfast. It can be served the traditional way over biscuits too...
Top Review by c4user
We were over at The Magary Klan for breakfast and Ian whipped this up in no time at all. Even if you don't like sausage gravy you will love the awesome smell that fills the house. It's better than a coffee smell!!
The gravy was simply the best that I have ever tasted and I have tried a lot from all of my travels. My girlfriend loved it too.
If you want to impress an overnight guest, whip this up in the morning!
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 yellow onion (small or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb breakfast sausage (I use Tenessee Pride)
- 6 vegetarian breakfast sausage patties
- 6 eggs (scrambled, fried, made to order)
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups half-and-half (fat free)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage and crumble finely.
- Cook several cups jasmine rice.
- Cook Morning star breakfast patties and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat melt butter and add onion. cook 2-3 minutes until transluscent.
- add sage stirring frequently. Do not brown.
- Quickly stir in flour.
- Add sausage, half and half, heavy cream and bring sauce to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the liquid is slightly thickened (10 min).
- Add cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, tabasco sauce and worcestershire sauce to taste.
- Puree with immersion blender (if you like smoother consistency).
- put rice in bowl and place Morning star breakfast patty on top cover with gravy and eggs (scrambled, fried, etc).
- Fried Sage Garnish:.
- vegetable oil (enough to float leaves).
- 6 - 8 whole sage leaves.
- salt to taste.
- heat pan to 325 F on medium heat.
- carefully drop each leaf into hot oil.
- turn once after 30 seconds.
- cook additional 15 - 20 seconds.
- place on paper towel and season with salt.