1/1 Photo of Loco Moco With White Sausage and Sage Gravy
Ian Magary's Note:
Found the recipe in a magazine "Garden & Guns" ??? WTF? Stonleigh Hotel & Spa, Dallas Texas, chef David Bull then I modified it to make a Hawaiian favorite breakfast. It can be served the traditional way over biscuits too...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 1 yellow onion (small or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 lb breakfast sausage (I use Tenessee Pride)
- 6 vegetarian breakfast sausage patties
- 6 eggs (scrambled, fried, made to order)
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups half-and-half (fat free)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- lemon juice
- Tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- 1Cook sausage and crumble finely.
- 2Cook several cups jasmine rice.
- 3Cook Morning star breakfast patties and set aside.
- 4In a large sauce pan over medium heat melt butter and add onion. cook 2-3 minutes until transluscent.
- 5add sage stirring frequently. Do not brown.
- 6Quickly stir in flour.
- 7Add sausage, half and half, heavy cream and bring sauce to a boil.
- 8Lower the heat and simmer until the liquid is slightly thickened (10 min).
- 9Add cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, tabasco sauce and worcestershire sauce to taste.
- 10Puree with immersion blender (if you like smoother consistency).
- 11put rice in bowl and place Morning star breakfast patty on top cover with gravy and eggs (scrambled, fried, etc).
- 12Fried Sage Garnish:.
- 13vegetable oil (enough to float leaves).
- 146 - 8 whole sage leaves.
- 15salt to taste.
- 16heat pan to 325 F on medium heat.
- 17carefully drop each leaf into hot oil.
- 18turn once after 30 seconds.
- 19cook additional 15 - 20 seconds.
- 20place on paper towel and season with salt.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Loco Moco With White Sausage and Sage Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1287.7
- Calories from Fat 788
- Total Fat 87.5 g
- Saturated Fat 47.4 g
- Cholesterol 549.7 mg
- Sodium 684.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian breakfast sausage patties