Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
We have just returned from Maui not long ago and one of DH's and my favorites was "Loco Moco". Found this recipe in Hawai'I's Best Local Dishes by Jean Watanabe Hee.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 slice bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato catsup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup beef or 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour mixed with 4 tbls. water
- salt and pepper
Top bowl with
- hot cooked rice
Top rice and meat with
- 4 eggs, fried over easy
- Mix bread cubes with milk or water until bread is softened. Mix together ground beef, softened bread cubes and rest of ingredients. (Not the gravy ingredients though). Mix well; form into patties. Pan fry or broil to desired doneness.
- Place cooked hamburgers on a warm platter and keep warm while preparing the gravy. Remove oil, leaving brown particles in pan. Pour broth into pan and heat to boiling, stirring and loosening brown particles,. Mix flour with water to make a smooth paste. Slowly add to heated broth, stirring constantly, until smooth. Add salt and pepper.
- Serve the hamburger steak on hot steamed rice, with fried egg on the hamburger and gravy over all.
True comfort food! I loved it, but the boys were divided - Number One was not impressed, Number Two has asked that we have this for dinner whenever Number One is not at home :) I did not stray from the recipe, although I did add an extra egg on top. We'll be eating this meal on a regular basis, to be sure. Thanks for posting!