Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Hawaiian beach side favorite. When you get to the North Shore, right near Shark's Cove, look for "the Hut". It's an open-air shack with a tiki ploe. Best Loco Moco!
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick and pounded with mallet
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups crushed saltine crackers
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 fried eggs, sunny side up
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of flour.
- Dredge each steak in flour, egg and cracker crumbs.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium high, heat corn oil.
- Add steaks and cook until golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 4 tablespoons of the remaining oil and set over low heat.
- Slowly Whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour into the oil and bring to simmer.
- Gradually whisk in milk and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the rice on to four places.
- place the steaks on top of the rice, then one fried egg on the steak.
- Cover with gravy.