Recipe by Brookelynne26
From Breakfast For Dinner The ice will need to soak in the fridge for 6 to 8 hours before preparing. *Sold as Sho-Chiku-Bai sweet rice, or sometimes just called sweet rice, white sticky rice can be found at specialty grocers and Asian food stores. You can use sushi rice instead, though it may need more liquid and a slightly longer cooking time. **Regular soy sauce won’t work here; it makes the reduction too salty.
For Coconut Rice
- 1 cup white sticky rice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
For Soy Reduction
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice with 1 cup cold water; cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours. Pour rice and any remaining liquid into a saucepan. Stir in coconut milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 10 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; keep covered and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water, brown sugar, and sriracha. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by half, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it begins to brown, about 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Carefully wipe out skillet (it may be hot) and return to medium heat; brush with vegetable oil. Crack eggs into opposite sides of the pan to keep them from running together. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. If you prefer firmer yolks, cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide rice between serving bowls. Top with ground pork and a fried egg. Drizzle with soy reduction, sprinkle green onion and cilantro on top, and serve.