Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 mins
My mom plays with her food a lot. This is my version of her favorite weekday breakfast. All the healthy snacks for the day in one cup. I generally chop a bag of walnuts, almonds, and pecans and mix in a large bowl with a package of dried dates, 1/2 a container of raisins, a bag of each dried fruit- cranberries, cherries, blueberries (or what ever I can find in the store). I mix this in a 12-cup air-tight container.Once mixed I add 1/4 cup of this mix into my oatmeal bowl. I also start with 1/2 cup of oatmeal and add to it as needed until it's the consistancy I like. My kids prefer more peanutbutter as it tastes more like loaded no-bake cookies.
- 1⁄8 cup nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds
- 1⁄8 cup dried fruit, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, dates, raisins
- 10 ounces coffee
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal, rolled, steel-cut as preferred
- 2 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 dash cinnamon, ground
- Begin with 10 ounces of coffee (if cold you will need to microwave to heat up).
- Add a dash of cinnamon.
- Add 1/4 cup nuts and fruits combined.
- Add hot cocoa mix (Nestle Quick works fine).
- Add oatmeal
- Add peanutbutter.
- Stir until well mixed. allow to sit for a minute or two so the oatmeal cooks
What a yummy oatmeal! I used almonds for the nuts and raisins for the dried fruit. I cooked the oatmeal in 1 cup coffee + 1/4 cup water and for me 1 T of the peanut butter was enough. Great combination of ingredients and the cinnamon was a perfect touch. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for My3Chefs 2013