Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy ingredients and easy on the budget. Cooking in the pressure cooker also cuts the cooking time. This recipe can also be done on the stovetop - after braising meat, bring meat to boil then simmer for 2-1/2 hours; add vegetables and cook for an additional 30 - 45 minutes or until tender. Instead of throwing individual spices, you can also substitute dried Italian Seasoning for the oregano, thyme, and basil.
- 3 1⁄2-5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 cup flour
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped to 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cleaned and chopped to 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped to 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped to 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled and chopped to 2-inch pieces (optional)
- Season flour with salt, pepper, and ground ginger in a seperate bowl or zip top bag.
- Cut boneless chuck into 3" cubes and lightly dust in seasoned flour.
- In a large skillet with vegetable oil, lightly braise all sides of the the cubed chuck on medium-high heat on the stovetop. Drain on paper towels.
- Put braised chuck into pressure cooker with one cup of water (or enough to barely cover meat), and bay leaves.
- Following your pressure cooker's instruction, cook chuck in pressure cooker for 20 - 22 minutes.
- Stop pressure cooker in a sink of water, release pressure valve and toss in carrots, potatoes, and daikon. Cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes.
- Stop the pressure cooker again, and check if vegetables are slightly firm, then add the celery and onions. Cook and additional 2 - 3 minutes.
- When stew is done and all vegetables have similar texture, add 3/4 can of tomato paste, stir well, and reseason with more tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.