Hey Jude's Note:
Get out the bibs, lobster crackers and picks! If you've never prepared live lobster, this is a straightforward approach to a decadent meal. I make this once a year, on January 1, my wedding anniversary. My husband and I had a very low-key wedding (I was wearing jeans, an old sweater and my house slippers!), at 12:30 AM on January 1, 2001 (01-01-01). To celebrate that humble beginning, I make a totally decadent meal for us every New Year's Day. This one is our favorite and it's fun for us to do together. We halve the recipe and drink the leftover champagne. You'll need a really big pot for this, I use a big stock pot. Make sure plenty of napkins are on hand and that you have lobster shell crackers and picks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make the sauce, pour the champagne into a medium saucepan and add the parsley, thyme, bay leaf and shallots; cook over medium heat until just 1 cup of liquid remains, about 25-30 minutes.
- 2Strain the liquid and discard the herbs, slowly whisk in the butter, one tablespoon at a time, over low heat.
- 3When all the butter has been added, season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Keep the mixture warm while preparing the lobsters.
- 5In a large pot, bring to a boil enough salted water to cover the lobsters.
- 6Remove the rubber bands that hold the claws shut.
- 7Plunge the lobsters into the water, head first.
- 8Cover and bring the water back to a boil; cook the lobsters for 10-12 minutes from the time the water returns to a boil.
- 9Serve lobster with champagne dipping sauce in individual bowls.
Browse Our Top Lobster Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lobster Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lobster with Champagne Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.2
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 234.0 mg
- Sodium 459.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: