Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Probably one of my all-time favorite foods is lobster, and there is nothing like a whole lobster. There is savory meat throughout - the trick is to get it out! Since the most effective tools are your hands, it's a messy, but worthwhile, job! It is definitely not something I choose to eat when attempting to appear dainty or refined.
- 2 large shallots, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup brandy or 2⁄3 cup cognac
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 live lobsters (1 to 1-1/4 lb. each)
- Fill two 10-quart pots halfway with water; heat to boiling.
- Meanwhile, place shallots and brandy in small saucepan and boil over high heat until brandy is reduced to 3 tablespoons, about 3 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a heavy medium saucepan; discard shallots.
- Place pan over medium heat and whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time, blending first piece before adding next. Sauce should be thick and foamy. Season with salt and cover to keep warm.
- Drop lobsters headfirst into boiling water. Cover pots, return to boiling, then boil 8 minutes. Drain lobsters in sink.
- Place each lobster on cutting board and split lengthwise in half, cutting from underside with heavy sharp knife.
- Pour warm butter sauce into 8 small bowls or ramekins and serve with lobsters.
This has an excellent sauce! I used it on rock lobster tails for a delicious appetizer. Made for CQ15.
Made for ZWT-8 & a delayed celebration of 9 yrs together (delayed so we could dine on 2 of your lobster recipes). I admit the 1st thing we did was modify the recipe so it could be a starter portion & that meant using size-appropriate tails vs a whole lobster. We used what I call mid-size tails (a gift, so I'm unsure of the lobster variety). I admit the attraction here was the brandy butter & giving it a trial for a guest occasion. I made 4 of the tails for 2 of us, used a cpl generous shakes of lemon pepper, used Old Bay Seasoning vs salt as DH is salt-restricted (3/4 tsp salt = 1,500 mg sodium, 3/4 tsp Old Bay = 480 mg sodium or a 68% reduction) & added cpl shakes of dry parsley. The brandy butter was excellent even w/my chgs & our trial was a happy success that guests will soon enjoy. This starter portion was served B4 your Barbecue Recipes Grilled Lobster Tails as our main-course. Thx for "letting" me amend your recipe as needed & for sharing it w/us. :-)