Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Creamy lobster filled pastries which can be served in either appetizer or dinner size
Orange Cognac Sauce
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cognac
Lobster Vol au Vent
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces lobster meat
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 4 vol-au-vent cases
- parsley, flat leaf, for garnish
- For the Orange Cognac Sauce: In a medium saucepan over high heat combine the orange juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat until nearly evaporated. Add the stock, heavy cream, and cognac. Boil for minute, remove from the heat, and set aside.
- For the Lobster Vol au Vent: Preheat a saucepan over high heat until very hot. Add the olive oil, then the lobster meat, mushrooms, shallots, tarragon, and white pepper, to taste, while stirring to combine ingredients. Add 1/2 cup of the Orange Cognac Sauce and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce to a simmer.
- Spoon reduced mixture into prepared shells, drizzle with remaining orange cognac sauce, and garnish with parsley leaves.
I had a progressive dinner party and I hosted the appetizers...I served the lobster in orange cognac sauce as the 3rd course and it was a HUGE hit...I would absolutely serve it again as even a dinner course, it was delicious