Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Good with Pasta
Make and share this Lobster-tomato Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) maine lobsters
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced yellow bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 1 cup thinly sliced seeded poblano pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup peeled coarsely chopped, and seeded tomatoes
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 5 cups fish stock
- Fill a large stockpot 3/4 full with salted water and bring to a boil. Plunge the lobsters headfirst into the boiling water and blanch for 7 minutes. Transfer lobsters to a large bowl filled with ice water to cool. When the lobsters are cool enough to handle, crack the shells and remove the meat from the tail, from the tail and claws if using a Maine lobster. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a heavy wooden spoon, to make a blond roux, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, and the sherry in a small bowl and stir to blend. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large, heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, yellow bell peppers, red bell peppers, and poblano peppers, and cook, stirring until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the sherry mixture, stir, and bring to a boil. Add the fish stock and roux, and whisk to dissolve the roux. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the reserved lobster meat and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 minutes.