Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
As a starter dish, one small crayfish will serve two people. As a main, one crayfish per person. Buy the cray cooked or cook it yourself. Keep the cray intact (don't remove head) slice in half down the length of the cray with large sharp knife, slice the tail first then turn and slice head, careful not to separate head from tail. Wash under running tap removing all yucky stuff; drain. Carefully remove tail meat and chop into bite size pieces. Put empty shells on oven tray, lean them against each other so they are level ready for filling, refrigerate.
- 2 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken stock
- 1 pinch dill
- 1 cup tasty cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup tasty cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Add flour stirring constantly.
- Cook flour butter approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in milk and whisk constantly. As mixture starts to thicken, reduce heat and continue to whisk. Take off heat when it starts to boil.
- Add 1 cup cheese, dill, stock powder, salt, pepper. Add crayfish and stir well.
- Spoon mixture back into shells--load them up well the whole length of shell.
- Sprinkle with cheese and put into hot oven, 200 Celsius for 15 minutes or until cheese browns.