Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A healthier version from Cooking Light December 2006
Make and share this Lobster Thermidor recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups water
- 4 large lobster tails (about 28 ounces)
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots (about 1 large)
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat reduced-sodium swiss cheese
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a stockpot. Place a vegetable steamer or rack in bottom of pan. Add lobster tails. Cover and steam for 8 minutes or until done.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Remove meat from shells (save shells); chop meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Cover and chill.
- Place lobster shells in a large zip-top plastic bag. Coarsely crush shells using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine shells and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until liquid begins to evaporate.
- Stir in sherry, and cook 1 minute.
- Combine reserved milk mixture, flour, black pepper, and white pepper in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in basil and tarragon; cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add reserved lobster meat, cream, and salt, stirring to combine.
- Divide mixture evenly among each of 4 (1 1/2-cup) gratin dishes coated with cooking spray.
- Combine cheese, panko, and melted butter in a small bowl; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the panko mixture over each gratin.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until topping is browned.