Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A healthier version from Cooking Light December 2006
Make and share this Lobster Thermidor recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups water
- 4 large lobster tails (about 28 ounces)
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots (about 1 large)
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat reduced-sodium swiss cheese
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a stockpot. Place a vegetable steamer or rack in bottom of pan. Add lobster tails. Cover and steam for 8 minutes or until done.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Remove meat from shells (save shells); chop meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Cover and chill.
- Place lobster shells in a large zip-top plastic bag. Coarsely crush shells using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Combine shells and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until liquid begins to evaporate.
- Stir in sherry, and cook 1 minute.
- Combine reserved milk mixture, flour, black pepper, and white pepper in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in basil and tarragon; cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add reserved lobster meat, cream, and salt, stirring to combine.
- Divide mixture evenly among each of 4 (1 1/2-cup) gratin dishes coated with cooking spray.
- Combine cheese, panko, and melted butter in a small bowl; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the panko mixture over each gratin.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until topping is browned.
I found this fairly easy to make. My husband and I were very pleased. I will definately be making this again! Thank you for sharing!
This was soooo deliscious.........I did make a couple of adjustments due to dietry restrictions...ie whipping cream, salt............I also used what we call here in Australia, moreton bay bugs, and South Australian king prawns..........thank you for submitting this recipe.....Jenny B