1 hr 30 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
A healthier version from Cooking Light December 2006
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups water
- 4 large lobster tails (about 28 ounces)
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots (about 1 large)
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- cooking spray
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat reduced-sodium swiss cheese
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a stockpot. Place a vegetable steamer or rack in bottom of pan. Add lobster tails. Cover and steam for 8 minutes or until done.
- 2Cool to room temperature.
- 3Remove meat from shells (save shells); chop meat into bite-sized pieces.
- 4Cover and chill.
- 5Place lobster shells in a large zip-top plastic bag. Coarsely crush shells using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- 6Combine shells and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes (do not boil).
- 7Remove from heat; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- 8Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Set aside.
- 9Preheat oven to 450°.
- 10Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 11Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until soft.
- 12Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until liquid begins to evaporate.
- 13Stir in sherry, and cook 1 minute.
- 14Combine reserved milk mixture, flour, black pepper, and white pepper in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- 15Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- 16Stir in basil and tarragon; cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- 17Add reserved lobster meat, cream, and salt, stirring to combine.
- 18Divide mixture evenly among each of 4 (1 1/2-cup) gratin dishes coated with cooking spray.
- 19Combine cheese, panko, and melted butter in a small bowl; toss to combine.
- 20Sprinkle 1/4 of the panko mixture over each gratin.
- 21Bake for 12 minutes or until topping is browned.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lobster Thermidor
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.6
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 322.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat reduced-sodium swiss cheese