Adopted from the RecipeZaar account. I haven't made these yet. A italian flacky pastry that resembles a lobsters tail.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1Combine flours, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Mix well. Add butter, cutting it into the dough until blended. Slowly add water.
- 2Knead until firm.
- 3Form into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 4Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add milk.
- 5Bring to a boil and slowly add semolina flour. Stir constantly so as to avoid lumps.
- 6Simmer three to four minutes, remove from the heat, pour into a bowl and allow to cool.
- 7After five minutes add ricotta (which has been passed through a sieve), egg, sugar, candied fruit, and sugar to semolina. Beat well. Set aside.
- 8Remove dough from refrigerator. Divided it into two equal parts.
- 9Place on a dusted pastry board and roll with a rolling pin into an 18 inch square.
- 10It will become very, very, thin. Brush the thin pastry with butter.
- 11Begin at one end and roll it like a jelly roll. Cut the roll into a number of 3-4 inch pieces.
- 12Pick up one piece of the dough in your hand.
- 13Press your thumb in the center of the pastry and push it down to form a hole like a cup. Fill the cup with 2 tablespoons of filling. Fold the cup until the open edges touch. Gently press the edges together to seal the pastry.
- 14Set it inches front of you. Gently pull out the sides of the front to form a shell. Brush the top with beaten egg yolk. Repeat above until all pastry and filling are used.
- 15Preheat over to 425 degrees.
- 16Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 17Place the shells on the paper and bake for 15 minutes or until brown.
- 18Let the pastry cool on the cookie sheet for five minutes. It will harden a bit. Then place on a rack.
- 19When ready to serve and completely cool, sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Nutritional Facts for Lobster Tails
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.8
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 88.4 mg
- Sodium 345.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 12.3 g