Recipe by deb k
This is one of our favorite recipes from MY favorite cookbook (Italian Immigrant Cooking by Elodia Rigante)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 lbs lobster meat
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes, w/ their juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk (half & half for a creamier soup)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth and water to a boil.
- Chop up the lobster meat into small pieces and add it to the boiling liquid.
- Cover, turn down the heat and let simmer.
- In a skillet, heat a tbl of the olive oil and add celery, onion and garlic.
- Saute over medium heat, taking care not to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, wine and basil and saute for another 5-10 min.
- Add this to the lobster mixture and continue to simmer the soup for 30 minutes covered, over very low heat.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the remaining olive oil, then the flour.
- Whisk in the milk gradually, stirring continuously.
- When it begins to thicken (just when it begins, not when it gets real thick) stir this mixture gradually into the simmering soup.
- Be sure the soup does not boil after this point but is stirred and simmered over very low heat.
- Remove half of the soup and blend it in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Half of the soup should retain flakes of the tender lobster meat and chopped vegetables.
- Mix in the blended soup with the lobster mixture.
- Season with salt& pepper.
- Serve this soup with fresh Italian bread.