Recipe by Dib's
I stole this recipe from Mike Kalina who stole the ravioli recipe from Windows on the World Restaurant, and the vanilla sauce from L'Archestrate in Paris. It's a triple copycat worth repeating!!!
Top Review by ARathkamp
I'm sure this recipe is great for some, but our family did not care for the vanilla sauce at all. Maybe I used too much vanilla, but it was very overpowering. I'm giving this dish 3 stars because the pasta (yes, we made our own) and filling were great! I loved the idea of this recipe, but it didn't turn out for us (probably the chef's fault, not the recipe lol)
- 3 small cooked lobsters, meat removed
- 3⁄4 lb chanterelle mushrooms or 3⁄4 lb brown button mushroom
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 ounces creme fraiche
- white pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- pasta dough
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 shallots, diced
- 3 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter, cut into cubes
- white pepper
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the lobster meat (you can use shrimp or scallops for this, or a mixture which is what I do).
- Clean the mushrooms and dice and saute in butter in a large sauce pan.
- Add the shallot and mix in the creme fraiche and quickly bring to a boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chives and lobster meat.
- gently blend.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Vanilla Butter Sauce----------------.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the shallots and simmer until soft.
- Add the vinegar and white wine, cook, uncovered at a low boil until the mixture reduces to about 2 Tablespoons.
- Lower the heat to moderate and add a few cubes of butter, remove the pan form the heat and whisk vigorously until the butter is blended inches.
- Continue to add the butter this way-on the heat, off the heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Scrape the vanilla bean and whisk it into the sauce.
- Strain the sauce into a clean saucepan, using pressure with a wooden spoon to make sure that as much of the vanilla and shallots goes through as possible.
- Putting it together--------------------.
- Roll out your pasta dough by machine or hand and lay flat.
- It should be about 5 inches across.
- Place about 1/2 T of lobster mixture, 4 to a row.
- Repeat and top with a fresh sheet of dough.
- Press down with hands and cut into squares.
- Crimp with a fork.
- You can use won ton wrappers if you prefer.
- Put ravioli into a boiling pot of salted water-they cook very fast.
- When they float to the surface they are done.
- Remove, drain and place in a serving dish, topped with the sauce.
- By the way, I double the sauce!