Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Rich and delicious seafood bisque! I use chicken broth because it's cheap and easy to find, but if you are so inclined, you could use fresh lobster stock or 3 ounces of Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold reconstituted in 4 cups of hot water.
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup carrot, minced
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh chives, minced
- 1⁄2 lb raw lobsters, chopped or 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat
- Saute onion and carrot in 2 tablespoons butter until soft. Set aside.
- In 4 quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter and add flour, whisking constantly over medium heat until roux becomes light brown (about 5 minutes). DO NOT BURN!
- Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly to ensure mixture stays smooth.
- Add onions and carrots, cover, and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add cream, sherry, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and lobster or crab and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh minced chives if desired.
If you're looking for an amazing full flavored crab/lobster stew, look no further. Tasted great, but the flavor was pretty overwhelming. To bring it back to more of a soup-esque style, I suggest:
Reducing amount of sherry to 1/3 cup
In addition to the cream, add a cup of regular milk (I used skim)
Add a tablespoon of tomato paste (good call Chef #1105875) for that nice pink color
Definitely a show stopper. Nice.
This is a fantastic recipe! I do recommend using actual sherry instead of cooking sherry though, and add it before you simmer 30 minutes.
I made this for my mother in law for Mothers Day and it was fantastic! Easy to make and very rich! We added Garlic and Cheese croutons and it just gave it an extra kick!