Rich and delicious seafood bisque! I use chicken broth because it's cheap and easy to find, but if you are so inclined, you could use fresh lobster stock or 3 ounces of Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold reconstituted in 4 cups of hot water.
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup carrot, minced
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh chives, minced
- 1⁄2 lb raw lobsters, chopped or 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat
- Saute onion and carrot in 2 tablespoons butter until soft. Set aside.
- In 4 quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter and add flour, whisking constantly over medium heat until roux becomes light brown (about 5 minutes). DO NOT BURN!
- Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly to ensure mixture stays smooth.
- Add onions and carrots, cover, and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Add cream, sherry, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and lobster or crab and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh minced chives if desired.