Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 whole live lobsters (1.5 lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons medium-dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon medium-dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- cayenne pepper
- 4 large egg yolks, well beaten
- to taste toast points (as an accompanient)
- Into a large kettle of boiling salted water plunge lobster, head first, and boil covered for 8 minutes from the time the water returns to a boil.
- Transfer lobsters using tongs to cutting board, cool till they can be handled.
- Break off the claws at the body, crack and remove the meat and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Remove the rest of the meat and do the same. In heavy sauce pan cook the meat in butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp. sherry and 3 tbsp. brandy and cook the mixture , stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Transfer meat with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add the cream to the sherry mixture and boil till it is reduced to about a cup.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the 1 tsp. sherry and brandy, nutmeg, cayenne and salt to taste.
- Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it registers 140* on a deep fat thermometer,, and cook it whisking, for 3 minutes more. Stir in meat and serve over toast.