Little Suzy Homemaker's Note:
This is from Bon Appetit. Haven't tried it but want to as soon as possible!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 3/4-2 lb) live lobsters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, shells reserved
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, flattened
- 1 turkish bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cognac or 1/4 cup brandy
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated Fontina cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 8 ounces pasta shells or 8 ounces gemelli pasta
- 6 ounces fresh crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1Plunge lobster headfirst into pot of boiling water; boil 4 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to cutting board. Cut off tail and claws. Crack tail and claws and remove meat. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Cut body and shells into 2-inch pieces. Chill meat; reserve shells.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add lobster body, lobster shells, and shrimp shells to skillet and sauté 4 minutes. Add onion and next 4 ingredients; sauté 6 minutes. Add tomato paste; stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in Cognac. Add 3 cups water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
- 3Strain mixture into bowl, pressing on solids to extract liquid; discard solids. Set stock aside. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop shrimp.
- 4Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; stir 1 minute. Add stock and cream; simmer until sauce is reduced to 2 cups, about 5 minutes. Add cheese; stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- 5Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Stir lobster, shrimp, pasta, crab, and 2 tablespoons butter into sauce. Stir over medium-low heat until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with chives.
- 6Bon Appétit, September 2004.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (505 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.6
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 269.9 mg
- Sodium 831.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 45.8 g