This is Ina's variation on her Grown-Up Mac & Cheese (Grown up Mac and Cheese) and I have had it for a few years and decided to share it today, as I'm making it again this Sunday. Barefoot Contessa at www.housebeautiful.com/0907
- kosher salt
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta or 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 4 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked lobster meat
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- Try Ina's variation on this dish with lobster!
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Add pasta and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don’t boil it. In a large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add the flour.
- Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
- Still whisking, add the hot milk to form a thick and creamy sauce, and cook for a minute or two more until thickened and smooth.
- Off the heat, add the Gruyere, cheddar, Roquefort, 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, nutmeg and crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Add the cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well.
- Place the mixture in 6 to 8 individual gratin dishes.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh breadcrumbs, and sprinkle on the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.