Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Now that lobster season in Atlantic Canada is in full swing, here is a very trendy dish using this popular shellfish to serve at your next dinner party.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups aged white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR CRUMB TOPPING
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or 1 cup regular breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce smoked bacon
- 1 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
INGREDIENTS FOR LOBSTER AND NOODLES
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lobsters, cooked and shelled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 ounces smoked bacon, chopped and slightly cooked
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- SAUCE: In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and shallot to butter and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until a roux is formed. Gently whisk in milk, 1 cup at a time, being sure to work out any lumps.
- Add bay leaf and nutmeg and let slow simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Stir in cheeses and seasoning and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is completely melted and incorporated.
- CRUMB TOPPING: Place all crumb topping ingredients in a food processor and mix on low speed until bacon is fully incorprated.
- NOODLES: In a large pot of boiling water (not salted), cook noodles until al dente. Strain noodles from water.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Add noodles into sauce with lobster and bacon. Place in a casserole dish and top with crumb mixture. Bake in a 350F oven until crumb topping is golden. Remove from oven and serve.
I made a double batch of this for dinner guests and it was gone in no time. I don't think I have ever heard such intense silence punctuated occasionally by moans of culinary excstacy. Hilarious. I used cream and whole milk, added a bit of sour cream, cayenne, and dry mustard. I boiled the noodles and made the cheese sauce the night before, then combined them right before baking. Layered in some sliced cheddar and shaved parm. Super creamy and satisfying.
Excellent. A new twist to mac and chees.
Such a tasty dish, I love this recipe.