Recipe by Chef mariajane
Now that lobster season in Atlantic Canada is in full swing, here is a very trendy dish using this popular shellfish to serve at your next dinner party.
Top Review by under12parsecs
I made a double batch of this for dinner guests and it was gone in no time. I don't think I have ever heard such intense silence punctuated occasionally by moans of culinary excstacy. Hilarious. I used cream and whole milk, added a bit of sour cream, cayenne, and dry mustard. I boiled the noodles and made the cheese sauce the night before, then combined them right before baking. Layered in some sliced cheddar and shaved parm. Super creamy and satisfying.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups aged white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR CRUMB TOPPING
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or 1 cup regular breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce smoked bacon
- 1 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
INGREDIENTS FOR LOBSTER AND NOODLES
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lobsters, cooked and shelled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 ounces smoked bacon, chopped and slightly cooked
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- SAUCE: In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and shallot to butter and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until a roux is formed. Gently whisk in milk, 1 cup at a time, being sure to work out any lumps.
- Add bay leaf and nutmeg and let slow simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Stir in cheeses and seasoning and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is completely melted and incorporated.
- CRUMB TOPPING: Place all crumb topping ingredients in a food processor and mix on low speed until bacon is fully incorprated.
- NOODLES: In a large pot of boiling water (not salted), cook noodles until al dente. Strain noodles from water.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Add noodles into sauce with lobster and bacon. Place in a casserole dish and top with crumb mixture. Bake in a 350F oven until crumb topping is golden. Remove from oven and serve.