Recipe by Stephanie Z.
From James Beard's New Fish Cookery by James Beard (Little Brown) Suitable for the finest guest, lobster is cooked in an herbed and spiced tomato sauce and then flamed with brandy.
- 2 (1 -1 1/2 lb) lobsters
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pinch clove
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Split the live lobsters and cook them in hot olive oil until the color has turned. Continue cooking gently for about 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, thyme or oregano, onion, garlic, cloves, mace, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Arrange a ring of rice on a serving dish. Put the lobster halves in the center and pour the sauce over them. Add the brandy and blaze just before serving.