Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
Easy to eat, the picking is done! From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking/preparation time approximate.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups lobsters, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- oil or fat, for frying
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- White Sauce: Melt butter and blend in dry ingredients. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Pour a little of the hot white sauce over the beaten egg yolk.
- Return to the pan and cook for a minute; remove from heat.
- Add lobster, parsley, chili sauce, salt and mustard.
- When cold enough to hold shape, form into cone shapes or balls.
- Preheat oil or fat to 375F in a fryer or large saucepan.
- Dip croquettes into the beaten eggs, then in bread crumbs.
- Fry in hot fat until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Variation: omit chili sauce and mustard; add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne and a dash of nutmeg.