Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From At Blanchard's Table
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb cooked lobster meat, coarsley chopped and patted dry
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, diced small and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh bread, crumbs
- equal amounts of butter and olive oil, for sauteing
Tomato Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup hellmans mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon small caper, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 minced dill pickle, patted dry
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lobster cakes: In a large, deep-sided saucepan, heat the butter over a low heat until it stops foming. Add the flour gradually and cook for 2 minutes, whisking continually. Add milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly to get rid of the lumps. Simmer for 5 minutes, continuing to whisk until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the lobster, peppers, scallions, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup of the bread crumbs and the milk mixture, and mix well. Cool to room temperature. Shape into 1-to 11/2 inch thick and flatten slightly. The lobster cakes should be about 1/2 inch thick. Coat the cakes with more bread crumbs.
- Heat a layer of buter and oil in a saute pan over a medium heat until hot, not smoking. Cook the lobster cakes untill golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tartar sauce.
- Tomato Tartar Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and tomato paste. Add the onions, pickles, capers, and salt and pepper, and whisk until blended.