Recipe by Tracy K
This decadent, rich lobster bisque requires some effort to make, but it is worth every minute! Serve this soup with a buttered crouton and a dollop of creme fraiche.
Top Review by DeeVaFoodie
Well I reviewed this recipe a week ago when I made it, but the review has never shown up. I did not want to leave this one un-reviewed as it is clearly a 10 star recipe!! I had never made my own Lobster Bisque before so I was a little bit nervous from the get go. But there was no reason, as this recipe was very clear and easy to follow. That aside, the Bisque is absolutely wonderful! I am so happy that I chose this recipe for Think Pink 2010, and so was everyone who enjoyed it. Great recipe, Thank you Tracy K!
- 2 (1 lb) live lobsters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups bottled clam juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of water to boil.
- Add lobsters head first and boil until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer lobsters to large bowl.
- Reserve 2 cups cooking liquid.
- Cool lobsters.
- Working over large bowl to catch juices, cut off lobster tails and claws.
- Crack tail and claw shells and remove lobster meat.
- Coarsely chop lobster meat; cover and chill.
- Coarsely chop lobster shells and bodies; transfer to medium bowl.
- Reserve juices from lobster in large bowl.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over high heat.
- Add lobster shells and bodies and sauté until shells begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add onion and next 8 ingredients (celery through peppercorns).
- Mix in brandy and Sherry.
- Boil until almost all liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes.
- Add fish stock, reserved 2 cups lobster cooking liquid and lobster juices.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Strain soup through sieve set over large saucepan, pressing firmly on solids.
- Whisk tomato paste into soup.
- Simmer until soup is reduced to 3 cups, about 15 minutes.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Add cream to soup and simmer 5 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water.
- Add to soup and boil until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Mix lobster meat into soup and stir to heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls.