Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lobsters
- 2 carrots, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into quarters
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed,cobs reserved
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup pastis or 1⁄2 cup Pernod or 1⁄2 cup anise-flavored liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 quarts water, peppercorns and bay leaf to a boil; add lobster.
- Cook 7 minutes.
- Strain broth and reserve.
- Allow lobster to cool to touch, then remove meat from shells.
- Cut lobster meat into 1/2- to 1-inch chunks and refrigerate.
- Place shells on a baking sheet.
- Add carrots, celery, half the fennel, onion and reserved cobs.
- Roast 1 hour, turning shells, vegetables and cobs so they don't burn.
- Ten minutes before removing, spread with tomato paste.
- Remove pan from oven and pour liquor onto vegetables, shells and cobs.
- Transfer to saucepan of reserved broth.
- Bring to a boil; simmer until reduced by half (8 cups), about 30 minutes.
- Strain; discard solids.
- Thinly slice remaining fennel; add to soup with corn and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cream and reserved lobster meat; cook until lobster is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.