Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium chopped onions
- 3 cups beer
- 3 cups beef stock (made from concentrate cubes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 medium idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion tops (optional)
- Brown meat and cook onions in the butter, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, beer, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and continue to simmer for 2 hours.
- Mash any remaining pieces of potato, so that you have a thick'gravy' with just a few pieces of potato.
- Serve in bowl with 1 tablespoon butter on top.
- Sprinkle with onion tops.
My Auntie Lou made lobscouse but she used it to use up left over meat ans potatoes. It was excellent