Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
serve with boiled rice.
- 2 cups black-eyed peas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 inch gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In pot soak beans overnight in water to cover generously. Next day, drain beans, cover with fresh water and bring to boil.
- Add salt, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Simmer until beans are just tender, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in deep saucepan. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cumin.
- Fry 10 minutes and add tomato. Cook another 5 minutes and add lobia (black eyed beans) and cooking liquid. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until lobhia are soft but not completely dissolved.
- Mixture should be soupy.
Great recipe. Thanks, Roja
This was super tasty and easy to make. I didn't have a tomato, so I threw in some tomato paste and some of the cooking water instead. Definitely a keeper! Love it!