Recipe by Lou van
Traditional British beef stew, done the low fat way, based on a recipe my mother in-law cooks, although I don't think she puts tomato puree in it, I just think it adds a depth of flavour.
- 600 g braising steak, cubed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 8 teaspoons gravy, granules (heaped)
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the steak into the crock pot.
- Put vegetables and some water into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for approx 8 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables, reserving the cooking water, and add the veg to the crock pot.
- Add the cooking water from the vegetables to the gravy granules, use enough to make the gravy thick but not gloopy.
- Add the tomato paste, bouquet garni, sugar, worcestershire sauce and saly and pepper to the gravy mixture, stir and add to the crock pot.
- Cook for 30 minutes at high temperature then 7 hours at low temperature.
- Add the peas to the crock pot, cook for a further 30 minutes and serve.