1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
PSU Lioness's Note:
I had a ton of veggies in my fridge that needed to get used before they went bad, so I added them to a pot of chili that I was making. It turned out really good, and it made use of produce that would otherwise have gone to waste. (Most measurements are approximate because I usually just eye everything up when I am cooking)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (omit for vegetarian chili)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, separated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into coins and then chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/8 cup dry sherry
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (using tomato sauce my make it salty)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix (or use your favorite recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1Heat pot over Medium heat. Add turkey, onions, green peppers, 1 tsp chili powder, garlic powder and oregano; cook for 7-10 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink (if not using meat, make sure to add a bit of olive oil before adding peppers and onions so they don't stick).
- 2Add zucchini; cook 2 minutes.
- 3Add carrots, tomatoes and sherry; cook 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in crushed tomatoes, 1 tsp chili powder, garlic salt, chili seasoning mix, red pepper flakes (more or less to taste) and both cans of beans.
- 5Heat until bubbling, then reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- 6Serve over cornbread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Loaded Veggie Chili (With or Without Meat)
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.1
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 194.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 22.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili seasoning mix