Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My DH loves this. I hate to cook before breakfast but sometimes I make it for him, and the rest of the crew, because I love him. The ingredients are a little variable so don't hesitate to make substitutions if you'd rather use smoked turkey instead of ham or green peppers instead of spinach. Pre-cooked meat and veggies take some of the drudgery out of cooking before you've had your second cup of coffee. ;)
- 12 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb bacon or 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb sausage or 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb ham, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chopped broccoli or 1⁄2 lb spinach
- 4 -8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (whatever you like) or 4 -8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (whatever you like) or 4 -8 ounces monterey jack cheese (whatever you like)
- Break eggs into a bowl. Add milk and beat well with a fork.
- Melt butter in large skillet (I prefer a cast iron chicken fryer).
- Cut onion in half lengthwise then slice the halves lengthwise into slivers. The slices hold their shape and texture better this way than when sliced crosswise. Saute in melted butter until nearly cooked and slightly browned.
- Add the meat and vegetables to the pan and saute briefly with the onions until thoroughly hot.
- Pour the eggs over the meat and vegetable mix. Cook on low-medium heat until about half done.
- Spread half the cheese over the eggs them scramble them around.
- Cook until nearly done. Add the rest of the cheese and scramble around again.
- Complete the cooking, scrambling again if necessary.
- Serve with your favorite bread, with homemade biscuits, with hash browns, or load into rolls or wraps.
I agree - this is an excellent recipe! I really like this, very much like one I would enjoy on our little jaunts south of the border. Always looked forward to that stop! Used bacon, spinach and mozzarella cheese. I am sure any of the choices would be equally good. Thank you 3KillerBs for a recipe that has already seen to a rerun.
This is an excellent recipe! I didn't use the milk. I used ham, spinach & cheddar cheese. I really had to stifle myself from eating way more than I needed. I made this for dinner tonight. Yum!!! I made this again, 5 days later. I used mozzarella this time, and it was equally delicious. My twin daughters loved it. The leftovers are just as good when heated up. I'm making it just to have leftovers. You have to try this!
These were delicious! My husband got a tad nervous when he saw the "green stuff" in there LOL .. I used the spinach ... but he's scarfing it down as we speak :) I did cut the recipe in half as there were only the 2 of us eating this , but it's very easily cut in half. The cheese I chose to use was an extra sharp white cheddar. Very good and will definitely make again! Thanks so much for posting!