Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adapted this from a salad recipe I received from the American Dairy Association. It's filling and nice for a light meal with a bowl of warm soup. I love that this salad is so flexible in allowing substitutions based on what you have on hand. Fat free and low fat dairy products have successfully been used in this. I try to avoid adding any additional salt to our meals, so you may want to sample the dressing before serving and see if you prefer to add some.
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup avocado, chopped
- 1 slice bacon or 1 slice veggie bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 egg, hard boiled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- ground pepper, to taste
- Top lettuce with the tomato, onion, cucumber, avocado, bacon, egg, and cheese.
- Prepare yogurt dressing by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulsing until smooth.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to cover.
AWESOME salad. The only changes I made were to use arugula in place of romaine and vegan bacon chips instead of real bacon. SO good. Note that a little dressing goes a long way, so be scant with it to start. My yogurt was fat free Greek yogurt which worked perfectly. WHOOPS. . .just realized I forgot to add the cheese. . .and it's fabulous without :) Made for Veg*n Tag and will definitely be made again!!!
Great salad. More filling because it's got the egg, bacon and cheese. We had a lot of dressing left over. I forgot to buy avocado and I had to sub in regular onion for the chives because that's what I had on hand. We used 2 eggs and had extra bacon on ours (who's going to cook only 1 strip of bacon?).
This is a very good dinner salad! All the veggies go great together and the egg adds colour, taste and nutrition. YUM!
The yogurt dressing is so light and tasty, I will use it for other salads as well.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, starry!
Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #35 June 2011.