Recipe by MidsummerNightSprite
Not for the faint of heart (or maybe it would make your heart faint)! This is a recipe I adapted from Paula Deen. It can be modified further to be a bit healthier but I wanted to get this tried and true version down.
Top Review by PaulaG
Nothing beats a nice warming bowl of soup on a cold day. I made half a recipe using sharp cheddar cheese. I used my immersion blender to break up the potatoes a little before serving and reserved a bit of the bacon to garnish along with the green onions. This was served as a meal with a tossed salad. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
- 453.59 g bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 946.36 ml red potatoes or 946.36 ml russet potatoes, chopped
- 473.18 ml half-and-half
- 709.77 ml milk
- 453.59 g sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 29.58 ml flour
- 78.07 ml green onion (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot cook bacon til crispy, remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onion and potato to bacon fat, salt and pepper, and cook through.
- Stir in flour and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Adjust heat to a low medium.
- Add half and half and milk all at once, stirring occassionally until hot.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted (I go one handful at a time cuz I've had weird things happen otherwise).
- Crumble bacon into bits and add back to soup.
- Garnish with green onions, cheese, and bacon.