Not for the faint of heart (or maybe it would make your heart faint)! This is a recipe I adapted from Paula Deen. It can be modified further to be a bit healthier but I wanted to get this tried and true version down.
- In soup pot cook bacon til crispy, remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onion and potato to bacon fat, salt and pepper, and cook through.
- Stir in flour and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Adjust heat to a low medium.
- Add half and half and milk all at once, stirring occassionally until hot.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted (I go one handful at a time cuz I've had weird things happen otherwise).
- Crumble bacon into bits and add back to soup.
- Garnish with green onions, cheese, and bacon.