Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Not for the faint of heart (or maybe it would make your heart faint)! This is a recipe I adapted from Paula Deen. It can be modified further to be a bit healthier but I wanted to get this tried and true version down.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups red potatoes or 4 cups russet potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups milk
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup green onion (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In soup pot cook bacon til crispy, remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onion and potato to bacon fat, salt and pepper, and cook through.
- Stir in flour and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Adjust heat to a low medium.
- Add half and half and milk all at once, stirring occassionally until hot.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted (I go one handful at a time cuz I've had weird things happen otherwise).
- Crumble bacon into bits and add back to soup.
- Garnish with green onions, cheese, and bacon.
Nothing beats a nice warming bowl of soup on a cold day. I made half a recipe using sharp cheddar cheese. I used my immersion blender to break up the potatoes a little before serving and reserved a bit of the bacon to garnish along with the green onions. This was served as a meal with a tossed salad. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
Oh my; this is a thick, creamy and great tasting potatoes soup. DH was truly impressed. It had the best blend of flavors - like a loaded baked potatoe and pretty easy to make. I did prepare it all and then put it in the crockpot on low for 4 hours, adding the cheese in the last 30 minutes and lowing the heat to "keep warm". We were having company and this way it was ready to go when everyone arrived. Made for Fall PAC 2012
I really enjoy making and EATING this soup! It has been a big hit at Poker Night and several pitch-in suppers that I have attended. The trick is to not let the soup get hot enough to curdle the cheesy goodness.