Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a hearty soup that can be served as a meal alone
- 5 cups potatoes, small diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb bacon
- cheddar cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces yellow onions, small diced
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- sour cream
- green onion
- Cook bacon in oven at 350 until crisp set aside (keep drippings).
- Boil potatoes and onions in chicken stock until tender.
- In a separate pan put bacon grease and butter mix with flour to form a roux.
- When roux is cooked to remove flour taste add milk slowly and stir to thicken.
- While thickening the milk mash half of the potatoes add bacon crumbles and continue to cook on low heat.
- When milk mixture is thickened add to potatoes and stir to incorporate.
- Season to taste add about 3 dollops of sour cream and a handful of cheddar cheese.
- Top with green onions, sour cream and bacon.