Recipe by Maymie
My family loves soups, I have looked at several recipes and then decided that I would just put the things we liked best in there. I hope everyone enjoys this as much as we do.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped into thin strips
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place washed, peeled, diced potatoes in a 5 quart pot.
- Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, celery seed and bay leaf to pot.
- Place pot over medium heat and allow to come to a boil.
- Let potatoes cook until tender, then remove the bay leaf.
- Smash the potatoes slightly against the side of the pot. (I like to leave some larger chunks of potatoes in mine, but you can also use a hand blender to process until smooth.)
- Turn heat to low and allow to simmer.
- While potatoes are cooking, place bacon strips into a large skillet and render until bacon is crisp.
- Pour bacon and fat from the pan into a strainer to reserve the fat.
- Add 4 tbsp of fat back to pan and add onions.
- Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add flour to onions and cook while stirring for no more than 2 minutes.
- Slowly incorporate half and half to this mixture adding small amounts and stirring well after each addition. Remove from heat.
- Slowly pour cream mixture into simmering potato broth.
- Turn off heat and add cheese, stir until cheese melts.
- Serve with bacon pieces and additional cheese.