Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have gotten addicted to these! Its a mix of other potato skin recipes with my own additions.
- 4 large baking potatoes, baked
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika or 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped red peppers or 1 cup green peppers or 1 cup yellow pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped chives or 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 egg
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop out flesh (discard or save for another use) leave a ¼ inch shell.
- Place on a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Mix together the oil, salt, pepper and paprika and brush all over the skins.
- Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes skin side up.
- Turn over and bake again for 7-8 minutes.
- In the meantime mix together: cheddar cheese, red pepper, and chives.
- Mix together in another bowl the garlic, mustard, hot sauce, sour cream and the egg, and then combine with the mix above.
- Divide this mixture into the skins, sprinkle with bacon, return to the oven and bake for about 4-5 minutes.
- Very nice served with more sour cream and green onions.
I found the green peppers overwhelming, both taste and texture. I had scooped out the centre for potato salad so it may have made a difference if I had left more potato on the skins.
Made these for this year's Super Bowl Party and called them "Pig Skins" (everything had a football related anme this year). It was the first time I made them, and not only did everyone at the party absolutely love them, but it has become a family favorite. Its rare that I find something that pleases me, the hubs and the kids equally. They are also pretty quick and easy to make! I highly reccomend this recipe!!
WONDERFUL! By far the best potato skin recipe we have tried. We left out the peppers, and cut back on hot sauce for serving to crowd of kids. super recipe. Update: Half the mustard