Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This has been my family's Christmas potatoes for years. It's great for any occasion, especially when you like to have your food prepped ahead of time.
- 4 lbs medium baking potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 12 ounces French onion dip
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- Peel potatoes and cut into eighths. Place in large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minute or until tender.
- Return potatoes to saucepan. Using potato masher, mash potatoes with milk. Blend in dip, salt and pepper.
- Place potato mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
- Heat in a preheated 350 oven 20 minutes or until hot.
- If these are made ahead of time, the warming time will increase to about 45-60 minutes, depending on how cold the dish is when placed in the oven.
This was pretty easy to make. I put my potatoes through the Vidalia Onion chopper before I cooked them so they would be nice small pieces to mash. They cooked in the amount of time listed in the recipe and mashed well. Everyone in my family really like the taste and said it was four stars. Personally, I was a little disappointed that the taste wasn't a little bolder. Next time I am going to try Green Onion Dip, because I find the flavor a little more intense. But apparently, I like things with a little more flavor than my average family member! Will definately be making this one again, because I LOVE the 20 minute baking time-great for after work, I just cooked the potatoes the night before. And the family loved the taste. Thanks for sharing this one!
These are just delicious! I used Parmesan-Reggiano but I didn't have any French onion dip on hand so I used ChefDee's(recipe#186221) and mixed it with sour cream. I don't think the substitution affected the recipe any because it sure was good! This one went into my permanent file. Thanks so much for sharing this.