Recipe by Lainey39
This macaroni and cheese is loaded with lots of cheese and real butter. It's not for the diet conscious. Everything in moderation, they say. Recipe is from Taste of the South.
Top Review by Merryannie
This was very good. I had 14.6 oz. of rotini & I was short 3 oz. of evap. milk (& forgot to add 2% milk to make up the difference) but all in all it was very good. I crushed some butter & garlic flavored croutons & sprinkled them over the top before baking - & only baked x45 min. We had enough to share w/2 neighbors & they gave this dish a thumbs up as well.
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions and hot
- 1 cup butter
- 2 (8 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package mild cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine macaroni, butter and shredded Cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over macaroni, stirring to combine.
- Cover with sliced Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until cheese is lightly browned.