Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A flavourful creation by my daughter and a huge hit with everyone who tries it - even those that don't like cauliflower!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked & diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut cauliflower in half. Put on baking sheet and cover with tin foil. Bake for approximately 1/2 hour or until tender.
- Once cooked, place cauliflower in large bowl and add cream cheese. Mash together.
- In frying pan add bacon, onion and garlic. Fry until bacon is crisp, then add mixture to cauliflower mixture. Blend and set aside.
- In soup pot, melt butter. Add cornstarch and mix, then add cream slowly so the cornstarch and butter dissolves. Then add both stocks. Stir until soup thickens a bit, then add wine and green onions.
- Once combined, add cauliflower mixture and turn heat to medium low and stir.
- Heat through, stirring occasionally.
I followed this recipe completely, until the end. I used a Chardonay wine, and a dash of salt and pepper. The wine seemed to overpower, the recipe needed more salt. I am always light with the salt, but even with the bacon, this soup seemed blah. At the end, I added an 8 oz package of shredded cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the soup seemed to redeem itself. I also think you could eliminate the cornstarch and butter, as the mashed cauliflower, thickened the soup nicely.
Truly amazing, delicious soup. I have already sent this recipe on to all of my friends. I had on hand applewood smoked bacon which gave this soup a delightful smoky edge. Just loved it! Many thanks to your daughter for this fantastic recipe!