Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is actually a whole meal in a pan, since this cornbread is loaded with meat, black-eyed peas, corn and cheese.
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, soda and chili powder in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, buttermilk and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in meat mixture, black-eyed peas and remaining ingredients.
- Pour into a lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour.
Had this for supper last night. Possibly the best one-dish meal I've ever eaten -- but it could benefit from more spice. Maybe a little sour cream on top? Or salsa??
this is more like a casserole than an actual bread. it mixed up well and baked nicely with the ground beef i used. the flavor was a bit bland for our taste. i think i would try this again with more spices and maybe black beans instead of black eyed peas.