Recipe by KathyP53
I have yet to try this. It looks like a phenomenal pot luck or summer side dish. From Southern Living.
Top Review by catmaniacs
Had quite a bit of BBQ pork leftover, found this recipe. Didn't have the type of frozen potatoes called for so just boiled and mashed some russets while I was cooking the bacon and continued on with the recipe. We really enjoyed this, my husband said he would like it with another cup of pork added, but I thought it was great with the amount specified. Thanks for the recipe!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 (22 ounce) packagefrozen mashed potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 3 cups shredded barbecued pork (I would use the grocery store container type, or from the deli) or 3 cups barbecued beef (I would use the grocery store container type, or from the deli)
- 3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 8-10 minutes. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Stir together reserved bacon drippings, potatoes, next 5 ingredients, and 2 cups cheddar cheese in a large microwave safe bowl. MIcrowave on HIGH 4 minutes. Stir in sour cream and chiles until well blended.
- Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13X9" baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with bacon and remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese. Arrange pork evenly over cheese. Drizzle barbecue sauce evenly over pork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes., Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.