Recipe by Novice Chef Hillary
My own recipe of loaded baked mashed red potatoes. I've found several wonderful mashed potato recipes, but I always found myself tweaking them for my own tastes. This serves enough for my family of six with plenty of leftovers. It's flavorful and savory without being overpowering! Enjoy!
- 1 (5 lb) bag red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1 1⁄2 fluid ounces condensed milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley (minced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese (cut in small 1/2 inch wide strips)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (cooked & chopped)
- 4 green onions (sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until crispy, place on paper towel to soak up grease, wait until cool.
- Chop bacon into approximately 1/3 inch pieces and set aside for later.
- Clean and cut red potatoes into 1/2 inch to 2/3 inch cubes (leave skin on).
- Boil potatoes until cubes are easily mashed. (Test a couple cubes with a spoon or finger).
- Lightly mash in a large bowl (Avoid over mashing! Red potatoes can become gooey) and set aside for later.
- Preheat oven for 350.
- In a small mixing bowl put: sour cream, milk, parsley, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and basil.
- Stir until smooth/blended well.
- Fold mixture into mashed potatoes.
- Spoon potatoes evenly into a glass baking dish.
- Take the strips of sharp cheddar and make a loose basket weave pattern on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the chopped bacon on top of the potatoes with cheese.
- Sprinkle the sliced green onions on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350.