Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here is a new crock pot recipe that I just tried.....turned out SOOO good and took SO little effort. I LOVE being able to have the entire mess cleaned up way before supper! My hubby liked this one a LOT....better than my old recipe!
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- cheese, for sprinkling
- Combine baking potatoes, onion, chicken broth, garlic, butter, salt and pepper in a large crockpot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potatoes should be tender).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream, cheddar cheese and chives.
- Top with sour cream (if using); sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.
This is a great recipe!! Very simple and versatile. I added some leftover mashed potatoes (since I had to get rid of them:) and so I didn't add the milk/cream since it helped make it creamy. I prepped it all the night before so it was super easy! Thanks for a yummy and easy dish...perfect for weeknight craziness around our house!
This recipe is fabulous. It's exactly what is supposed to taste like. I like to add the bacon right in the soup, though. And my mom likes bigger pieces of potato so I remove half, mash, replace those then slightly mash again to break up those cubes. But tastewise, perfect.
Enjoyed your soup very much, as did a neighbor couple with whom I shared it! Followed your recipe right on down, putting the sour cream & bacon on the side! This recipe is certainly worth keeping around to make again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]