Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here is a new crock pot recipe that I just tried.....turned out SOOO good and took SO little effort. I LOVE being able to have the entire mess cleaned up way before supper! My hubby liked this one a LOT....better than my old recipe!
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- cheese, for sprinkling
- Combine baking potatoes, onion, chicken broth, garlic, butter, salt and pepper in a large crockpot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potatoes should be tender).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream, cheddar cheese and chives.
- Top with sour cream (if using); sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.
This is a great recipe!! Very simple and versatile. I added some leftover mashed potatoes (since I had to get rid of them:) and so I didn't add the milk/cream since it helped make it creamy. I prepped it all the night before so it was super easy! Thanks for a yummy and easy dish...perfect for weeknight craziness around our house!
This soup was amazing. I can't remember if it was a review here or somewhere else but I baked the potatoes first. Baking them with pink Himalayan and olive oil made them so soft and tender and really brought out the flavor of the potatoes. I also cooked whole 1 lb of bacon for the topping. You can never have too much bacon.
I cannot get over how much I love this soup. This is my new go-to potato soup recipe. I didn't make any changes, except mixing the sour cream into the whole batch at the end. It's so wonderful.