Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Really good on a cold winter evening with a piece of warm crusty bread.
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Fry in a large skillet until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- Cook potatoes in bacon grease until browned. Remove from skillet then add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft. Remove from skillet and set aside with the potatoes.
- In a large stock pot bring chicken stock to a boil. Whisk in flour until no lumps remain. Bring back to a boil then turn heat down to maintain a simmer.
- Add Velveeta, water and evaporated milk. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add potatoes, onion and garlic to soup. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in a bowl garnished with bacon and chives.
Bacon and too much Velvetta, tasted like a salt bomb. My family tossed theirs.