Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my mom. It's a great cold weather comfort food. So yummy! I make this when my family is craving Panera Bread's baked potato soup. I'm not claiming that it's exactly the same, but it's close enough for us! The recipe calls for baking the potatoes, but most of the time I choose the faster way of cooking them in the microwave. I also use red potatoes most of the time as well.
- 3-4 large baking potatoes
- 158.51 ml butter
- 158.51 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 3.69 ml white pepper
- 1419.54 ml milk
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml green onion, sliced
- 10 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Bake potatoes at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or until tender.
- Cool completely.
- Peel and cube potatoes. (If you're pressed for time you can also cube the uncooked potatoes and cook them in a covered dish in the microwave with 1/2 C water for approximately 15 minutes)
- In a large pot, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add potatoes and green onions.
- Garnish with bacon.
Tasty potato soup! I don't care for green onions so left them off; I found after I had made the soup that I didn't have the bacon on hand that I thought I did, so had to do without. This was thicker than most potato soups I've made but still yummy - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2012
I found this EXACT same recipe in a family recipe box! And made it last week. I only used 2 large baking potatoes and used 5 cups of skim milk. 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 c flour and 4 bacon slices. I did add extra cheese!
But this way I lessened some of the calories, but the flavors were spot on! I served 3 people with this dish and we made 1 rib eye steak and sliced it thin and placed over some ceasar salad. so i fed us "steak & baked potatoes" for probably less than $8!
This was so easy to make and the whole family loved it, even my daughter who doesn't like potatoes came home the next day asking if there was some left over for a snack. The only change I made was adding seasoning salt to taste. Its perfect served with Texas toast and broccoli! Thanks for sharing :-)