1/1 Photo of Loaded " Baked" Potato Soup
Chef PotPie's Note:
From Cook's Country. If you prefer a chunkier soup, reserve some of the potatoes in step 3 before blending.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup sour cream, plus additional for garnish
- ground black pepper
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. While bacon is cooking, use vegetable peeler to remove wide strips of potato peel; reserve peels. Cut peeled potatoes into 3/4-inch pieces. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels. Add reserved potato skins to bacon fat in pot and cook until crisp, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer potato skins to plate with bacon.
- 2Add onion to fat remaining in pot and cook over medium heat until golden, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic and flour and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and cream, stir in thyme and potatoes, and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 7 minutes.
- 3Discard thyme and transfer 2 cups cooked potatoes to bowl. Puree remaining soup in batches in blender until smooth. Return to pot and warm over medium-high heat. Off heat, stir in cheese until melted, then whisk in sour cream. Return reserved potatoes to pot and season soup with pepper. Ladle soup into bowls, garnishing with bacon, fried potato skins, scallions, cheese, and sour cream.
- 4To reheat leftover portions, gently warm the soup in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Do not let the soup boil, which will cause the sour cream to separate.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Loaded " Baked" Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 683.2
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 134.3 mg
- Sodium 669.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: