Recipe by maksh4
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: I did this first to see how the kids would like it. This is, to me, a Potato Skin/Baked Potato recipe combined. There are so many ways to do this but I decided to make this one basic & simple to start with. You can always add different items, such as broccoli or chili or stuff like that. I made it into a casserole so it can feed more people. Great for large family gatherings or events.
- 1.5 (20 ounce) bags Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1⁄2 large red bell pepper
- 7 green onion stems (use white only)
- 1.5 (8 ounce) packages cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chives
- salt (to taste) or pepper (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- paprika (to taste)
- butter-flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter bottom & sides of casserole dish.
- Press Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns along the bottom of the casserole dish, lightly salt & pepper potatoes.
- Sprinkle Cheddar Cheese and Bacon all over the shredded hash browns (do not mix). Use spray butter & lightly spray entire ingredients. Bake in oven at 350* for 15 minutes, then broil for the last 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool to the touch. While still warm, spread sour cream over entire ingredients, covering completely. Sprinkle with Cilantro and Garlic Powder, Paprika, Salt & Pepper to taste. Next add roughly chopped Red Bell Peppers and Green Onions. Once covered with those ingredients, use Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion and layer covering entire ingredients. Lightly spray-butter potatoes. Then sprinkle lightly over diced potatoes with the remaining bacon, cheddar cheese & chives.
- Bake approximately 40-45 minutes and cheese turns a golden brown.
- Side Note: After plated, serve with a light dollop of Sour Cream to top it off and if wanted -- a sprinkle or two of any of the following: Chives, Green Onions, Paprika, Parsley or whatever makes it look pretty to you. :).
- *Prep time includes the pre-baking of bottom layer to crust it. Cook time is to fully cook the potatoes through.