Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
There are times I refuse to pay the higher prices of fresh potatoes, as well as times when I just don't have the time to prepare a meal from scratch. This recipe appealed to me as a solution to both of those issues. Boxed potatoes are a great time saver.
- 2 (12 ounce) canspet brand evaporated milk
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 (5 ounce) boxeshungry jack instant mashed potatoes with bacon and cheddar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives or 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Spray 9x13-inch casserole dish with no-stick cooking spray.
- In large pot (on top of stove) combine evaporated milk, water, butter, potato slices and sauce mix over medium heat, just until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and chives (or green onions). Pour into prepared casserole pan. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake 40 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
I love this recipe! It's pretty high in fat, so the next time I make it, I will try using 2% milk and cutting back on the butter. Also, I used chive dip instead of plain sour cream. It's very good, though.